Did a little baking today. Rummaged through the cupboard selecting some bizarre ingredients and then scoured the Internet looking for a recipe to match. I just love this kind of cooking/baking. I found the following recipe:
Beetroot Chocolate Cake
75 g cocoa powder or powdered drinking chocolate
180 g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
225 g caster sugar
250 g cooked beetroot
3 large eggs
200 mL sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl.
2. Puree the beetroot in a food processor.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and oil and blend until smooth.
4. Add the sugar to the mixture.
5. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the beetroot mixture. Lightly mix.
6. Pour into a greased and lined 23 cm cake tin.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is firm when pressed with a finger.
8. Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Oh, and I got a little naughty and slathered the thing with chocolate icing, ensuring any connotations of 'health' associated with beetroot would be undeniably squashed!
2 cups icing suagr
2 tbs cocoa powder
2 tbs milk
Beat butter til fluffy, sift in icing sugar and cocoa and add milk. Yum! Here is the finished cake on my $1 savers deco plate :)
Love the way the icing peaks and slides down the side. I'm so in love, I don't want to cut it up!!!